Welcome!

Click on photos - some will open into larger images

Monday, September 22, 2008

Percival

When I was at school, I don’t remember having a lot of ‘hands on’ learning experiences….at least, not till the latter years. Haven’t times changed for the better!

Dr Bob has been somewhat in demand to go and talk to the kids at school about their topic for the term – the respiratory system. Unfortunately, his time being what it is, he couldn’t fit in all the classes and preferential treatment had to be given to certain boys’ classes.
Tonight, he brought home some manekins and pull apart models, in preparation for his presentation. The boys were fascinated! I was fascinated! To think that all those ‘bits’ fit into my body just like that?! And just where do all my cups of tea go??! Surely not into that little pouch…..and as for that wee thing called a stomach…..(it’s obviously very stretchy!).

The boys have named the resuscitation manekin, “Percival”! Percival is supposed to be the size of a 6-7 year old. It’s pretty realistic in size, and a very cool gizmo….if a little macabre. L was a little uncertain about it to begin with! Tomorrow, I’m supposed to rush into the classes, panic-stricken that “Percival is not breathing”! The Dr is then supposed to simulate a mock emergency resuscitation.
I hope we don’t freak too many kids out. I can just hear dinner conversation that night –
Parents: So what did you do at school today?
Student: E and L’s daddy brought in some bodies that weren’t breathing...


No comments:

Links to Author Profiles