Welcome!

Click on photos - some will open into larger images

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Warm, cozy, and dry


The tides have turned! All the rain and darkness that we’ve missed over our record breaking summer, arrived today. Funnily enough, people aren’t too unhappy. It’s been so dry and so bright for so long that the change is….dare I say it,…refreshing! And everyone is happy that the farmers in the Waikato region will be happy with the end of their drought.

As for me, I love these sorts of days (ask me again in a week’s time if the weather hasn’t changed and my answer might be different!). You wake up feeling all snugly in bed cos it’s dark and hosing down outside….and you have to have the lights on inside all day. So nice. I love the warm glow of having lights on inside and it being dark outside, but yet its not night time. And when you go out, all the cars have their lights on and it feels kinda cool. (We don’t have to have our lights on when we’re driving in the daytime in NZ, unlike Vancouver). On days like these, I get inspired to bake. Don’t know why, but I just love the smell of fresh baking and coffee on the boil (do you remember "Clara's famous choc chip cookies" from the school cookbook?!) And also percolating in my oven….a Portugese chicken casserole is adding to the aromas emanating from my kitchen. One might almost think I was even slightly domesticated!

Music blasting, baking happening, lights on inside, rain thundering down outside…..life’s little pleasures! And I'll bet you have had a sunny day over yonder, eh?!

No comments:

Links to Author Profiles