Welcome!

Click on photos - some will open into larger images

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Long Live the Queen!

I fully support Queen Victoria.
I love her so much that I gladly celebrate her birthday! And I'm particularly grateful that the government of Canada encourages me to celebrate by giving me a holiday Monday somewhere around May 24 each year!
Yesterday, we feted Victoria by spending the day at Whistler. It's always a fun place to be.
We shared a wonderful lunch with Barb and Larry on a patio (steamed mussels, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, sticky chili chicken, satays, and foie gras poutine) as we watched the world walk by. The boarders are always most picturesque!
The youth in Whistler are largely derived from other countries; every other restaurant and shop employee has an accent. Lots of Aussies! When they're not working, they're skiing and riding down the mountain.
Yesterday was the last day to ski and board, but it's just the beginning of the season for bikers.
Every pub had its "parking lot" outside for skis, boards, and bikes; as the afternoon turned into evening, the action revved up and snowboards were even hanging in the trees. Everyone (under 25) was networking with drinks and getting extremely loud. I don't think I'd have the energy... Good thing I'm old!
There was a bike wash station at the bottom of the chairlift, and every second chair was outfitted to carry bikes.
It was fun to have a day away - a little teaser for summer break.
Happy birthday, Vicky, and may you have many more!


1 comment:

Southern Ange said...

Lovely shots of a familiar place for us. I well remember walking those lanes at Whistler...the youth haven't changed much! If it means you get to have a day off and visit beautiful spots, then GO VICTORIA, I say! :)

Links to Author Profiles