Welcome!

Click on photos - some will open into larger images

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Eye of the Storm

What a wonderful day it was.
I went to the beach with my class today; the school year finishes up (for the children, not for us) on Friday.
I think that all children should spend lots of time at the ocean. Playing, discovering, breathing in the sea air, cutting their feet on barnacles, and picking up new and interesting creatures. I don't think that we have the dangerous ones that live in Oz!
That's what they did today. Although it wasn't a particularly beautiful day weather-wise, the children had the best time. They loved looking for crabs and starfish, and filled up their buckets with poor little captured creatures (Everybody was released in the afternoon, probably traumatized for life...).
I was constantly being asked to "Come see what we found!" and, "Take a picture of this!" Even the most jaded of students were gripped with beach fever and needed to be called multiple times when it was time to leave.
After lunch, we went on a walk on the wooded trail, where my teaching partner and I had hidden small toys and candies in five different areas. What fun it was to send them all searching!
And now, after a day of beauty and tranquility, smelling salty and wonderful, it is time to get back into the year-end frenzy of marking, photo mementoes for students, and report cards. You probably won't be hearing much from me. Aaaaaaggggghhhhh!

No comments:

Links to Author Profiles